How can I add students to a course?
Before you can add students, you must have a course created.
Passport identifies students by their e-mail addresses. It’s recommended that students use their school e-mail addresses to register with on Passport. Students can change their profile picture or password on Passport, but can’t change their Passport e-mail address. The student’s password is important in helping a student reset a forgotten password.
There are three ways to add students to a course. Choose the method that best meets your needs. Directions for each method can be found below.
A. Share a course link with your students. This method is recommended for adding large numbers of students at the beginning of the course. Students must have a email account where they can access the link to activate their accounts.
B. Manually add students. This method is recommended for adding smaller numbers of students or for students who do not have access to a school email account to activate their Passport accounts.
C. Create a roster upload. This method is recommended for adding a large number of students by teachers who feel more comfortable with technology and creating CSV files.
A. Shared Invite Link
(Note: This method is recommended for adding large numbers of students at the beginning of the course.)
1. Once you are logged into Passport, select the course that you want to enroll students into.
2. After you select your course, your class profile will appear. Click on Class Profile and click the green Add a Student button. You will find the Add a Student button at the bottom of your Class Profile page.
3. Then, the Add a Student window will then appear. At the top of this window, a green link will display. This green link is the Invite link for this one course. Click on this link to copy the link to your clipboard. Share this invite link to your entire class, so that they can sign-up and get started.
4 After clicking on the Invite link, students who are new to Passport will click the blue Create an Account button. They will create a profile picture, download plug-ins, and will be asked to check their school or personal e-mail address, for an Activation e-mail.
The Passport activation e-mail verifies the student’s e-mail address, and activates their Passport account.
5. Returning students should click on the green I Have an Account button. These existing students only need to add the course to their list of current courses. Both new and returning students will click the Add button, and the new course will be added to their account.
As the teacher, you will send out new course invite links for every new course that you create in Passport.
B. Manual Entry
For students new to Passport, you will have to manually enter the student’s e-mail address, first, and last name. Only use this method for a small number of course attendees. For returning Passport students, the system will automatically populate the student’s first and last name for you, based on the e-mail address that you entered. Students can retrieve their password by clicking on the Forgot password? Link.
1. When you log into Passport you will see your courses list. Select the course which the student(s) will enroll in.
2. Once you are in your course, select the Add a Student button, located directly under the Class Profile.
3. The Add a Student window will open. Enter the student’s name and e-mail address then select Add a Student. If the student has an activated Passport account, the fields will auto populate after entering their e-mail address.
4. You will see your student’s name appear in the class roster with an activation status of “Not Activated.” The student should receive an activation e-mail which they can open to activate their account.
5. Students without a working email can be manually activated by the teacher. To manually activate a student, create a temporary password.
6. Create the temporary password in the Add a Student box, or click on the pencil to edit student information. Once you create the temporary password, students can log in.
C. Roster Upload
Passport allows automatic class roster uploads with the use of CSV formatted spreadsheets.
Before you can begin formatting a spreadsheet, a course needs to be created in Passport. One course for each period is required. The CSV spreadsheet is formatted as shown below:
How to find the Course ID:
For new Passport users, they will receive an activation e-mail with a link to log in for the first time. For returning Passport users, they will use the same e-mail address and password they initially used to set up and activate their Passport account. Once students click the Add button, they will be logged into Passport, and the new course will be added to their account.
1. In Passport, select the course which you want to find the course ID. Each course in Passport has a its own unique course ID. In the example above, I am choosing the course titled, “Spanish Period 1”
2. Once you are in your course, viewing your Class Profile; notice the URL address. The Course ID is the four digit number before “/students” in the URL.
3. In this example above, the course ID is “3078.” For each student enrolled in this Spanish Period 1, 3078 will be their Course ID.
4. If you would like to include multiple courses in your Class Roster upload, please make sure that you keep the courses grouped together.
5. You can have several courses from multiple instructors in one upload, but for organizational purposes, one spreadsheet per school is what’s recommended.
Data file requirements
Required fields |courseID|;|firstName|;|lastName|;|eAddress|;|password|
Final data file includes all necessary student information on one line
Send completed data file to Onboarding@emcp.com. The User Experience Team will follow up with you once the roster upload is complete.
Clever Automatic Rostering and Single-Sign-On
EMC Schools has partnered with Clever to provide course rostering and a single-sign-on capabilities. School districts that have implemented Clever into their Student Information System and interested in connecting with Passport, please search for the EMC Passport app in the app gallery. To discuss this option in more detail, please email email@example.com.
Was this article helpful?
Still Need Help?
If you can't find the answers to your questions, please feel free to contact our Support Team.
Register for Q/A Session